Thursday, October 7, 2010

Subvert : Interview; Justin Timberlake and Visa

Subvert is a Venice, Los Angeles based Design, 3D & Visual effects studio. In September, I was fortunate to have a meeting with them to see what they are all about. The studio is run by Dylan Nathan and Eva Flodstrom. In between his daily work on the new TRON motion picture, and creating music /
DJing (Jega on the label Planet Mu), I was able to catch Dylan for an interview :

What do you specialize in (programs, techniques, etc..)?

I have a background in Architecture, which has been useful in 3D Design jobs.
Our Visual Effects skills are used as much as our 3D animation skills.
3D is our core skill. We use compositing tools for our visual effects work and 3D work.
We also used integration tools for camera tracking and object tracking.

When did you first discover 3D?

I have been using 3D software since 1998.
We are mostly self taught, which was the only way back then.

Please list 2 examples of your best work (the work you did or are doing that you are most impressed with) and what techniques did you use?

I really like the work we did on Justin Timberlake's 'Love Stoned' video.
We attended the shoot in the UK and designed the set for the video.
We modeled, lit and rendered the set. Then we keyed and camera tracked the plate. Finally we composited the shots.



I'm also very happy with the Visa Olympic's spot.
Starting with only five stills of gymnast Nastia Liukin, we photo-modeled her in 3D.
We then added a virtual camera move in Maya and re-lit her.
Added air born particles and light effects in post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently a designer / animator for the ABC Design Department specializing in creating motion graphics, 3D and visual effects for ABC / Disney. I have successfully branded, designed, and animated campaign packages for various primetime shows for 10+ years. My work can be viewed on television, print, and the web. View more work on vimeo. I founded Afrobeat Down, Los Angeles premier Afrobeat Ensemble in 2002. I write, conduct, sing, play guitar and percussion for the group. Afrobeat Down on FACEBOOK. I create electronic music / DJ under the Moniker, "Sir Pele" on SOUNDCLOUD.