Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Jon Saunders, Brooklyn, NY.

Jon Saunders is a Brooklyn based Director / Animator / illustrator / currently working at PSYOP in New York. When I first went to his website, I was blown away by the amount of talent he had. Each project he has showcased is so uniquely different and well thought out. Jon was born in Boston, Massachusetts. He began training as a professional illustrator - painting in oil and drawing with graphite - until by happen chance he discovered the world of motion graphics while attending the Rhode Island School of Design. Soon thereafter, everything moved onto the computer.


I am showcasing 2 of his projects below.



This is a game trailer for "Dante's Inferno", created for Electronic Arts. Here is Jon's blog about it : Directed by Eben Mears, Dante's Inferno was my first venture into game trailers as a designer. I was tasked as design director, basically overseeing the look of the film and leading a team of designers and matte painters for the job's production. Eben and I nerded out pretty hard on this one and maybe tried to pack a few too many things into the trailer, but in the end it was a fulfilling experience and a great entry into the world of game trailers.  This link showcases some amazing screen shot art work from trailer.



The next feature is for AT&T from a couple years back, in their "Rethink Possible" campaign beginnings. Here is his blog about it : As the launch for At&t's "Rethink Possible" campaign, we were tasked to create a large scale cinematic animation telling the story about discovering what possibilities the world holds when we break out of our comfort zone. The first spot create in stereoscopic 3d for Psyop, this became a challenging exploration in character design and story telling. The little fish is possibly the first (and definetely not the last) character completely based on my dog Maisie. I thought that was cool about his dog being the inspiration for the fish character, and found this funny video blog post he made about his dog recently… check out the similarities… And while you are at his website, be sure to look through his amazing illustrations. This guy is not only an amazing Design Director, but phenomenal illustrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am currently a designer / animator for the ABC Design Department specializing in creating motion graphics, 3D and visual effects for ABC / Disney. I have successfully branded, designed, and animated campaign packages for various primetime shows for 10+ years. My work can be viewed on television, print, and the web. View more work on vimeo. I founded Afrobeat Down, Los Angeles premier Afrobeat Ensemble in 2002. I write, conduct, sing, play guitar and percussion for the group. Afrobeat Down on FACEBOOK. I create electronic music / DJ under the Moniker, "Sir Pele" on SOUNDCLOUD.